Thursday, April 6, 2006

Clutch and Brakes

Okay, so I have never driven a Land Rover until Grover came along. I had been told that shifting can be difficult, especially in the earlier models (since only 3rd and 4th are synchronized). However, I was use to driving a '73 Porsche along with older vehicles that has stick shifts. But Grover just kept grinding worse and worse. No mater what I did it wouldn't get any better.

So, after many e-mails with the good folks on the Land Rover Owners Mailing List, and a lot of discussion with my brother, it was decided that I needed a new clutch assembly including the master cylinder and fluid reservoir.

I sat down with my brother to make out a list of the items I would need. Rovers North and British Pacific became my best buds that week!

Here is a quick list of what I got:

9" clutch disk & cover;
clutch bushing;
flywheel dowels;
clutch pedal return spring;
bell housing plug for shaft (this was missing);
pedal assembly bushings (so warn they might as well of been missing);
clutch alignment tool;
clutch master cylinder;
hardline to clutch master cylinder;
rubber engine mounts (again, so warn they might as well of been missing);
anti rattle spring (missing).

There were a few extra items as well. Since we were going to replace the fluid reservoir and hardline to clutch, we decided to replace the brake hardline as well.

With all the orders placed I set to taking the wings off and getting ready to replace all those parts. It still amazes me at how many small sea shells, snail shells and pine needles I found in the engine. Once the wings were off the engine got power washed. I was afraid I might cause more damage by doing this, but everyone suggested I should. One even said "It's a Land Rover! If it can go through water it can handle a power wash."

The bell housing and gear box was so covered with grease and crud that it took my best friend and I several hours to get the stuff off.

Following are some of the pics.

The power washer did remove the paint off the bottom part of the oil bath housing.

Also, you can see the battery tray. This is the spot with the worst rust. I will have to come up with some way to replace it.

Here you can see the new fluid reservoir and hard lines. You can also see the new coil.

Well, till next time...

Larry ~

No comments: