Sunday, June 7, 2009

Going Topless

Hello again everyone!

More progress has been made in the past few days. All the body parts are off the chassis with the exception of the main bulkhead. The engine and the the tranny are also still attached. Right now I'm not sure if I'll remove these or not, same goes with the axles. My father is getting a bit worried that Grover will never get put back together again!

Anyway, the following pictures have been taken over the course of the past few days. Right now I'm only working on Grover for a couple of hours, or so, per day. When I come across something that is really frustrating I walk away for the day and think about it.

So, without any further delay, here are the pics.

For the first time since owning Grover here he is with the top off. I think it will stay off for a while.





SWMBO's uncle thinks he looks great without a top!















Just another view without his top.

And now he has no tub.

I was surprised at just how few bolts hold this thing on the chassis. I was also surprised at how light it was.

So here the main body parts sit.

Hopefully it won't be too long before the tub is back on and the top on a winch.

Okay, the next few pictures are just general ones of Grover's carcass. If you have questions, please ask and I'll do what I can to answer.
























































On closer look you can still see some black paint on the chassis.

You can see a good swath og the paint in the center of the pic.








Here is a closer look at the paint.

I haven't gotten a picture of it yet, but there is also a black substance, that looks like an undercoating, that's peeling off the underside of the wings and tub.

And here is the bulkhead sans windscreen.

Now, size wise, I was surprised that the windscreen weighed as much as it does compared to the tub.

The next few pictures are going to be of the fuel tank. As you can see it is still attached, but I plan to remove it Monday.

So here it is..the gas tank.

It is completely covered in dirt, mud, and grime. I'm also beginning to figure out if it might have a slight leak based on the 'oily' look of some of the dirt. Not sure how to find out if it's leaking, but somehow I will.

I took this picture so everyone could see what the return tube and the fuel sender looks like.

I need to figure out how the sender works. I have a feeling it pivots and the pivot point is frozen.

This last picture was taken for 'grins-n-giggles'. I didn't expect anything to come of it, but if you look, there is a piece of what looks to be brass chain in there!

Guess the tank will have to be cleaned out as well. I wonder what else is in there.

Well, that's enough for now. I'll try and remember to get more pictures tomorrow.

Till next time...

Cheers!
Larry

No comments: