Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Nitty Gritty...

So, now it's time to get down to the 'nitty gritty' of removing items from the engine and bulkhead so that the bulkhead can be removed.

As of now this has been the dirtiest part of the job and most tedious. Hopefully I'll be able to remove the bulkhead by Thursday.

For now - here are some pics for you.

First up is the fuel sender unit. The float arm is stuck, but with generous applications of 3-n-1 oil it's beginning to move.

Here's the top.












This is the back side of the sender.

The large pin, with the wire sticking in it, is the pivot arm/point and is the part that's stuck.

Once opened, I was surprised at how clean and intact the innards were. Now if only the pivot arm will start working again.

I have also managed to remove a few parts of the front end such as the breakfast and the radiator.

And here's the engine without a few of it's parts.









Passenger side...












Driver's side...

The plastic bag is there to keep junk from falling into the carb.





While removing the various stuff on the passenger side I ran into a slight problem.

There is a 4-way brake line junction fitting attached to the chassis. The three male ends that screw into it that lead to the brakes came off easily. The one that enters into the top (the line from the reservoir) was another story.

No matter how many times I turned the thing it just wouldn't come out even though it is unscrewed. At first I thought I might have sheared the threads or something, but it screws back in tightly.

Here's the nasty little bugger.

The only thing I could think of that would prevent it from coming out is if the flared end became too flared to come out.

So, I contacted the Rover gurus on the Land Rover Owners Mailing List to see what they thought. They said the same thing.

Speaking of the Land Rover Owners Mailing List, they also helped me with the fuel sender unit and how to attempt to get it working. Thank you all!!

Well, that's about it for now; hopefully I'll get to work on Grover today.

Till next time...

Cheers!
Larry

No comments: