Thursday, July 23, 2009

The transmission is out!

Progress has been made. The exhaust system has been removed, the complete transmission brake system is out and the transmission is out.

Now I can start taking care of the rust on the chassis.

First step this time around was the removal of the drive shafts, known as propeller shafts in the UK.

The one at the top is the front shaft.

This one might need some work. As you can see, the boot on it is trashed.

Both of these will be getting new U-joints and boots.

Here's the front differential.

I'm showing a closeup of the driving flange on the differential so you can see all the rust.

Go figure, the differential and drive shaft were heavily coated in grease and oil but water still got in here.

After the drive shafts were gone the transmission brake was next.

Yet again the bolts were not on all that tight so it wasn't all that hard to remove.

Once the break drum was removed I ran into something I wasn't expecting - a trashed brake!!

There was nothing inside it but what's left of the expander unit assembly and adjuster unit assembly.

The expander unit assembly and adjuster unit assembly look like someone went to work on them with a hammer. The whole thing is heavily covered in oil and gunk and from what I can tell there are no washers at all to keep the oil out.

Since day 1 of owning Grover I heard the faint sound of what heard like a bell ringing from under the seat box. Everyone thought I was nuts. When I removed the brake drum a chunk of the adjuster unit fell out as well as a clip (for retaining tappets?). That explains the ringing I would hear once in a while!

I have no clue where the clip bounced off too, but you can see the chunk of metal in the lower part of the picture. It is from the adjuster unit assembly. You can see the rest of the assembly in the little porthole type thing right above it.

At this point I'm wondering if it would be easier to buy a replacement transmission break kit. I thought I saw them for sale somewhere, I just need to find it. If all else fails I'm sure one of the parts houses would build a kit for me.

According to the parts catalog there is also suppose to be a damper attached to the end of the break housing. I've seen no sign of a damper and have no idea what the function of this part is.

Now, on to the transmission...

Before taking the thing out I snapped a quick picture of the two air breathers I found.

The air breathers are the two tiny holes you can see in the picture. The first one is located in the lower right hand corner of the square plate (this one is clogged). The second one is located at the 9 o'clock position on the round plate.

There is another one there somewhere. TeriAnn, from the Land Rover Owners Mailing List, said it was a slot going up the back of the gearbox. For the life of me I can't find it.

And here it is - the transmission.

This thing came out easily and didn't weigh as much as I thought it would. Right now it is actually sitting on two plastic buckets until it gets moved.

Here's the rear of the transmission.

To the lower right is where the transmission break goes and the rear drive shaft connects. To the upper left is the housing assembly for the rear main shaft. This is part of the two speed transfer box.

Now that all of this stuff has been removed, Grover looks like a boned fish.

Here are a few pics of the carcass.

Back to front.

Engine and transmission areas.

Here's a better view of where the engine sits.

You can still see all the components of the tie rods. I'm not going to remove these until I absolutely have to. Leaving them in place will not stop me from dealing with the rust on the chassis.

And here is where the tub sits.

Next on the agenda is whipping up some homemade Waxoyl and getting some Por-15 ordered. This weekend I'll start getting rid of the rust!

Till next time...


No comments: