Friday, July 9, 2010

Bob IS my Uncle

Hello Everyone!

Well, as the title states - Bob IS my Uncle!!

In other words - today has been a great day!

Let's get to the Land Rover part of the day - I finished the front seal modification.


How about some pictures...

The first few were taken a few days ago.

This is the inside of the timing chain cover showing where the outside mud shield is riveted to the cover.

The tail ends of the rivets are drilled off.

Outside view of the mud shield and rivets almost all the way off.

Just another view of the rivets before I pulled them out.

Note how grungy the shield and cover are.

Now I can start the clean-up process and get ready for the 'modification'.

The rest of the pictures are from today.

Nice and pretty ain't it.

It took about an hour and a half to clean the gunk off but it was worth it.

I was a bit surprised the mud shield turned out so well.

The cover is so clean you can just about make out the numbers stamped in it. I don't think the stamp was hammered hard enough to leave a clean stamp though. I wanted to get a picture but it just wouldn't show up.

The first screw is in and the second tap is underway.

Before I forget; for the record I'm using a 6-32 NC tap.

And there you have it - all the screws are in and they work great.

I really don't know what I was worried about in regard to tapping the rivet holes. I had heard that the taps can bind and break off and I'd heard that you can screw the tap up by not getting it straight, but none of this happened.

It turned out that this was one of the easiest tasks I've done so far! I was expecting to use a lot of elbow grease with a few grunts thrown in but it wasn't necessary. It was fast and easy with very little effort. Each whole took less than 45 seconds to tap - I timed it!!

Man I can't believe I was sweating this project.

Now all I have to do is reassemble the sucker.

Hopefully Bob will be my uncle then as well.

Till next time...

Larry ~

No comments: