Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Why I got an old Series Land Rover

Currently there is an interesting thread going on over on the Land Rover Owners Mailing List called "What keeps you in Rovers". It deals with why a person got into Series Land Rovers in the first place. I thought I would share some of my response here as well.

“I don't consider myself an old-timer, but I ‘found’ Rovers while watching Hatari / Daktari as a young sprout”. For me it was ‘The Wild Kingdom’ and various safari themed type shows. Let’s not forget the mystic that oozes from them either.

Living here in one of the US’s armpits I don’t see many Series Rovers. Make that nil unless you count the odd one at Pendy Import being fixed and two on blocks at a town about 10 miles away. What everyone around here drives are the Discos and the odd Range Rover. Of these I have seen one of each that looked like they were taken off-road. For the most part they are status symbol vehicles you see in the hoity toity strip malls and private school parking lots.

To me, and the rest of the extended family, Grover is family. Many, many times I feel like I’m doing a disservice to Grover though. TeriAnn alluded to it when she gave reasons for a person to loose interest - “…likely breaks something from lack of maintenance…”. In my case I just don’t seem to have the technical knack an savvy to do all the cool thing you all have accomplished with yours. Heck, I have a hard time just keeping Grover maintained.

I can not fathom being without Grover. The ultimate goal is to get Grover to the point I could make some of those trips and expeditions I hear you all talk about and read about on the net. Also, I’ve joked about being buried with Grover, but in reality I know what will happen with Grover when I’m gone. We are willing... ...and Grover to the youngest one. Kelsey (the youngest one) loves Grover as much as I do. Kelsey is working towards being a country vet and I can’t think of a better vehicle for a country vet than a Series Land Rover!

Oh, one last thing… I enjoy driving in city traffic with Grover. I learn all sorts of new hand gestures from other drivers!


Well, till next time...

Cheers!
Larry ~

No comments: